Software Monitoring Consulting
Every client engagement is unique, but here are some of the most common ones:
Prototyping/Demoing New Monitoring Tools
If you’re ready for new monitoring tools but not sure which ones, I’ll work with your team to understand why your current tools aren’t meeting their needs, what they’d like to see, and then come up with the best options for you to explore. Avoid expensive buyer’s remorse by having a monitoring specialist jumpstart your assessment and help you avoid costly mistakes.
Incident Management / Outage Response
Do you often find yourself on unsure footing during an outage as to who’s in charge of what? Are outages lasting longer than they should? Improving your incident response procedures will turn your outage response into a well-oiled machine. We’ll walk through your current incident management process, discuss where it’s causing you problems, and then design a custom-tailored incident management process just for you that’s easy to use, easy to understand, and doesn’t place a ton of burden on your team.
Improve Problem Detection and Alerting
Are noisy alerts causing your team to lose precious sleep? Are your customers telling you about problems before your monitoring does? A deep dive into your architecture will yield all the metrics, logs, and alerts you’re missing, as well as improve upon the ones you already have.
Monitoring Specialist On-Demand
If you’d like to have access to me on an as-needed basis, I offer a retainer service. For a set monthly recurring price, you will have unlimited access to me in-person, by phone, email, or video chat. If you’re a VP or C-level looking for a specialist to get advice from on a regular basis, this is probably what you want. This retainer contains no deliverables, as it is purely advice-based. Three month minimum engagement length.
The Mike Julian Guarantee
I want you to be thrilled after working with me. If for any reason you aren’t, I promise I will work with you on whatever you feel was missed. If you expected more attention in a specific area that didn’t receive it, I will make sure to rectify that until you are thoroughly pleased. If, after I attempt to resolve the problem and still cannot to your satisfaction, I will refund the entire project fee.
I cultivate long-term relationships with clients and having unhappy customers for any reason doesn’t help either of us. You can be assured that when you work with me, you will leave happy.
Why should I hire you?
- I’m the author of O’Reilly’s Practical Monitoring and the editor of the popular monitoring email newsletter, Monitoring Weekly. I keep up on the best practices and the latest monitoring trends so you don’t have to.
- I specializing in holistic monitoring strategy. That is, I help you create a complete monitoring strategy to protect your business and customers instead of just implementing tools.
- I’ve helped many well-known companies solve their monitoring challenges, including Hornblower Cruises & Events, a Target subsidiary, Airbnb, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, a YCombinator finance company, and many more. You can see what they had to say themselves on my testimonials page.
- My assistance comes with a 100% money-back guarantee. If you’re not happy with my work or don’t feel you achieved the results we set out for, I will refund your entire payment. Yes, I’m serious–I’m that confident you’ll be thrilled with our work together.
Amazing Clients. Terrific Results.
How I work
- My fees are a flat per-project rate. I don’t bill by the hour, so you will always know in advance what the financial investment will be for my assistance.
- My fees are due in full, upfront. This arrangement allows us to focus on solving your challenges rather than worrying about the bare minimum necessary to call a project “done.” When you work with me, the project is done when you say it is — no more worrying about feeling the pressure to sign off prematurely.